22 confirmed dead and 59 more injured following blast at Manchester Arena on Monday 22 May

What we know so far...

- So far 22 people have been confirmed dead and 59 more injured following a suspected terror attack at Manchester Arena - police say children are amongst the dead.

- First casualty revealed as Georgina Callander, 18, of Runshaw College in Lancashire.

- 23-year-old man arrested in Chorlton/Whalley Range area in connection with the bombing.

- Heavily armed police have entered a property in Fallowfield.

- Attack on arena was carried out by a sole male suicide bomber who may have used a nail bomb after nuts and bolts were seen scattered around blast area.

- According to Reuters, ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack.

- The incident took place at approximately 10.33pm as a sold out concert by American popstar Ariana Grande drew to a close.

- Armed officers quickly surrounded the 21,000 capacity arena following incident.

- The attack is the deadliest act of terrorism in the UK since the 7/7 London bombings in 2005, where 52 people died.

Armed police swooped on the arena following the attack

- British Transport Police reported that the explosion took place in the foyer of the arena as people left the concert. Manchester Arena have confirmed the explosion happened in a public space outside the venue.

- More than 400 police officers and 60 ambulances were deployed during the night.

- Prime Minister Theresa May chaired Cobra meeting Tuesday morning at Downing Street.

- Police have confirmed that a controlled explosion took place close to the arena in Cathedral Gardens, however, the package was found to contain clothes.

- Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham told press: "the spirit of Manchester will prevail and hold us together."

- Police say arrest made at Manchester Arndale unrelated to Monday's terror attack.

- The emergency number for concerned relatives and loved ones is 0161 856 9400.


Video (obtained via social media):

The moment the explosion rang out at 10.33pm on Monday 22 May...

Flash seen from dashcam of nearby parked vehicle...

Chaos as thousands flee the venue...

Emergency services rush to the scene...

Up to 400 officers attend the scene while 60 ambulances carry casualties to eight hospitals across Manchester...

Buses arrive at the arena to carry concert-goers home. Taxi drivers were also said to be offering free lifts to the stranded...

Statement from Greater Manchester chief constable Ian Hopkins:

As dawn breaks, the helicopter continues to circle the arena

Police and press continue to surround Manchester Arena this morning - Trinity Way, Exchange Square, Victoria Station remain behind cordon.

Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham and council leader Sir Richard Leese deliver message of strength and solidarity outside Manchester Town Hall...

More from that statement...

Reports say Manchester Arndale has now been evacuated. Video appears to show armed police arresting a man on Market Street (below).

Pictures from Twitter user @TTBXXX reportedly show heavily armed officers raiding a house on Elsmore Avenue in Fallowfield. Eyewitnesses say police carried out a controlled explosion at the property.


Police have confirmed Salman Abedi, 22, as the suspect. However, Chief Constable Ian Hopkins says because they have not yet formally identified Abedi, they can comment no further.

Poet Tony 'Longfella' Walsh with a rousing ode to Manchester grit and spirit at the vigil for bombing victims. It's been a moving day for everyone here. What a beautiful evening... what horrific circumstances... what a city.