New plans have been submitted for Back Turner Street and Soap Street - including a seventeen-storey tower
Salboy, the Salford-based developer owned by billionaire Betfred owner Fred Done, has taken another crack at their new scheme in Northern Quarter.
A new planning application has been submitted for the site on Back Turner Street and Soap Street, after plans for a thirteen-storey apart-hotel scheme were denied in February last year.
A consultation period for the new plans began in September, however, there was some controversy after demolitions on the site got underway the day after the public meeting.
We are from Manchester and respect the unique character and buzz of the Northern Quarter immensely
Writing for Confidential (Dirty Tactics on Soap Street, 14 September), Northern Quarter tour guide Hayley Flynn said:
'On Wednesday night a public meeting was held concerning the future of the derelict building straddling Back Turner and Soap Street. The new plans for a less imposing residential plot were overshadowed by the announcement that the existing building would be demolished the next day. This came as a shock to the concerned residents and to many of the councillors operating in the area who were as clueless as the rest of us.'
Following the consultation, Salboy revealed three options for the site, situated between Back Turner Street, Shudehill and High Street, with plans for a fully glazed seventeen storey tower, 65 apartments, retention of the existing warehouse and a pocket park eventually winning through.
Jon Matthews, founder of 5plus architects, said: “Retaining the core warehouse on Back Turner Street is certainly a challenge from an architectural and construction point of view. It has meant that we have had to rework the newer elements of the scheme slightly to make it viable. At its highest point, the scheme is nine metres higher than any previous design for the site, although by city centre standards, this is still not particularly tall.
“The massing, bulk and slab-like nature of the previous application was also far more significant and consistent across the length of the site. In contrast, the new tower’s visual impact has been significantly reduced through the design of a tall, slender and elegant form. This is further refined and managed through a series of well-considered cladding materials that frames the activity and life of the building.
“It is now a truly unique and striking building for the area and is a great example of working closely with the local community to achieve a design that appeals to the vast majority.”
Salboy direct Simon Ismail said: “We are from Manchester and respect the unique character and buzz of the Northern Quarter immensely. Since our first public consultation back in September, we have worked closely with the local community and invested additional capital and resources to extend our consultation activity.
“While our original plans have changed significantly with the decision to retain much of the existing building on site, we are genuinely delighted and proud to now submit plans that we feel are of benefit to everyone in the community. This scheme will allow people to put down roots and contribute to a growing community.”