Football clubs, businesses, celebrities and members of the public have all responded to the call for funds
Manchester is a united city in more ways than one. The region’s two biggest football clubs have come together under the hashtag #ACityUnited and announced a joint donation of more than £1m to the We Love Manchester emergency fund.
The fund was initially launched by Manchester City Council to raise funds for the British Red Cross to support people affected by Monday’s devastating nail bomb attack on Manchester Arena, where 22 people were killed and dozens more wounded as they left an Ariana Grande concert. Of the 64 still in hospital, 20 remain in critical care.
United and City’s combined donation have now taken the current total of the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund beyond £4m. The donations were welcomed in a joint statement by leader of Manchester City Council Sir Richard Leese and Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham, who announced; “This is a wonderful act of generosity and speaks directly to the mood of our city and all of its people. It shows how in our darkest hour people are coming together and that Manchester is a city of true solidarity – truly a City United.”
The British Red Cross kicked off the appeal earlier this week with a £50,000 donation from their Disaster Fund. Sports stars, celebrities, members of the public and businesses have all responded to the call for funds and donations have been pouring in from across the country.
The Manchester Evening News, whose We Stand Together appeal raised £1m within a couple of days, have also joined forces with the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund.
Many premier league players have pledged personal donations, including £100,000 from City midfielder Yaya Toure and his agent; £100,000 from The Wayne Rooney Foundation and £50,000 from The Arsenal Foundation.
Actor Tom Hardy, who recently spent time in the city filming scenes for Peaky Blinders has set up his own fundraising page for the appeal.
British baking firm Warburtons, whose head office is based in Bolton, have donated £25,000 while Manchester-based Co-op has donated £100,000. The budget airline easyJet has announced they will be inviting passengers to donate to the fund via a special collection on all flights to and from Manchester and Liverpool over the next fortnight.
The fund will support people who have been injured or bereaved by the attack. The donations will help alleviate suffering and ensure that victims and their families do not face short-term financial difficulties.
The Lord Mayor of Manchester, Councillor Eddy Newman, said: "We are incredibly grateful to everyone who has generously supported the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund.
"The money raised through your donations will make a real difference to those who have been affected by this horrific attack. The magnificent support received so far shows just how strongly the world stands united with the city of Manchester at this difficult time."
Mike Adamson, Chief Executive of the British Red Cross said: “We have been moved by the compassionate response to this appeal for victims and their families. People from communities across the U.K. and right around the world are showing their solidarity by donating. The money raised will contribute to those affected by this terrible attack getting the help that they need today, tomorrow and into the future".
To donate visit this page redcross.org.uk/a...