Support for Liverpool at BRAS (British Restaurant Awards)
Last week Liverpool’s 8 By Andrew Sheridan won the Best Restaurant category at the British Restaurant Awards (BRAs) last week. These took place at an awards held at Porchester Hall, London.
This pushes the newish restaurant into the top rank of city centre fine dining. Sheridan’s achievement is remarkable given the Michelin-star laden competition including luminaries such as The Fat Duck in Bray; Moor Hall in Aughton; and Ynyshir in Ceredigion.
These awards reinforce the impression the Liverpool restaurant scene is improving all the time
Unsurprisingly given this victory 8 By Andrew Sheridan also won Best Restaurant in Liverpool. Sheridan, who moved his flagship restaurant from Birmingham to Liverpool five months ago, said: “To be nominated for these awards against such esteemed competition was one thing, but to actually win is amazing. I am so proud of all we have achieved so far.”
The win topped off a good week for 8 By Andrew Sheridan; it was also included in the Michelin Guide – one of only 12 new restaurants added to the online directory in August. 8 was praised for its ‘bold, distinct flavours’.
Sheridan and his business partner Sam Morgan of the Open Restaurant Group also own OXA in The Wirral, and Black & Green, Worcestershire, both upmarket neighbourhood bistros.
8 by Andrew Sheridan self-describes in this way.
‘It’s more than just food on a plate. We’ve got rid of the hushed tones, the starched linen tablecloths and the reverential wittering for a multi-sensory experience you’ll never forget.
‘It’s a rollercoaster of flavour and emotion, each dish telling a story and evoking memories. Everything is clean and precise; a total distillation of flavour with no distractions. Not confused or crowded, just simplicity and an aim for perfection in every element.’
The dishes certainly look the part, as with the main image here of a panacotta of tuna tartare with a wild garlic dressing.
We’ll let you know what we think when we review the restaurant in the next few weeks
Meanwhile in further good news for the Liverpool dining scene, vegan restaurant, Down the Hatch, in Duke Street, won the Best Vegan Restaurant.
Earlier this year Jay Parker co-owner of Down the Hatch told Liverpool Confidential: "Despite it being a niche business, we've always had a constant stream of customers coming in, whether it be regulars who come here often, new people, or people who have been once and are introducing their friends and family to the food we serve. We pride ourselves on serving up solid, good food, and with the customer base we've had, they would seem to agree. We even get a lot of meat eaters coming here and just being absolutely amazed that it's all vegan or vegetarian food options, but they thoroughly enjoy them regardless."
The Liverpool dining scene, still has gaps, a top-notch seafood restaurant for one, but these awards reinforce the impression that it’s improving all the time.
British Restaurant Awards: the full list of winners
Best New Restaurant 2023: Bleú SteakhouseBest Chef 2023: Gordon Ramsey
- Best Food Ordering Company 2023: UberEats
- Best Luxury Restaurant 2023: Bocconcino, London
- Restaurant of The Year 2023: 8 By Andrew Sheridan, Liverpool
- Best Hospitality Team 2023: Thai Square Restaurant
- Best Restaurant in Leicester 2023: Maurizio’s
- Best Restaurant Chain 2023: Gaucho
- Best Takeaway Restaurant 2023: Chamisse, London
- Best Culinary Experience 2023: Happy Bar & Grill, London
- Best Restaurant in Manchester 2023: 20 Stories
- Best Restaurant in London 2023: Happy Bar & Grill – London
- Best Restaurant in Liverpool 2023: 8 By Andrew Sheridan
- Best Restaurant in Wales 2023: Heaney’s – Cardiff
- Best Restaurant in Surrey 2023: Positano
- Best Restaurant in Essex 2023: The Blue Strawberry Bistrot
- Best Restaurant in Newcastle 2023: Victors Newcastle
- Best Restaurant in Sheffield 2023: Carluccios
- Best Restaurant in Bradford 2023: Café J’adore
- Best Restaurant in Bristol 2023: Namak
- Best Restaurant in Brighton 2023: The Salt Room Restaurant
- Best Restaurant in Leeds 2023: Lala’s Restaurant
- Best Restaurant in Birmingham 2023: Qavali
- Best Restaurant in Southampton 2023: Figurati
- Best Restaurant in Cambridge 2023: Mina Steakhouse
- Best Young Chef 2023: Luke Selby
- Best Bar 2023: Lab 22, Cardiff
- Best International Cuisine 2023: Thai Square
- Best Vegan-Friendly Restaurant 2023: Down the Hatch, Liverpool
If you liked this then you may like this
Get the latest news to your inbox
Get the latest food & drink news and exclusive offers by email by signing up to our mailing list. This is one of the ways that Confidentials remains free to our readers and by signing up you help support our high quality, impartial and knowledgable writers. Thank you!